Check out our tour details and click on the book now button below to join us!
The famous pink sea and mud volcano on the same day!
You’ll visit the Totumo Mud Volcano to experience a rejuvenating experience, and then explore the town of Galerazamba to see the pink color of the sea, while learning about the ancestral heritage of the locals!
The Volcan del Totumo is a natural wonder that offers a unique and unforgettable experience. Located one hour away from the city of Cartagena, you’ll take a short trip to this impressive mud volcano. The volcano is a small, conical mound where you can descend into the crater and enjoy the relaxing sensation of the mud, which is said to have therapeutic properties.
After washing up in a lake nearby, with the help of friendly locals, the adventure continues to the impressive salt flats of Galerazamba. It is a small town that’s become famous because of the pink color of the water that’s surrounding it, and its salt extraction activity. Keep in mind that the best moment to enjoy the pink color of the water, due to a special algae living in it, is from December to April, and August to September.
The town of Galerazamba offers a unique combination of natural beauty, rich history, and cultural heritage. You’ll be able to walk around it, and enjoy a traditional Caribbean lunch that includes fish or chicken, rice, plantain, and salad. Then you’ll visit the Ethno-industry Museum to learn more about the town, its heritage, and how indigenous communities extracted the salt with their own methods to provide for the people that used to live in the surrounding areas.
You’ll be back to your hotel by the middle of the afternoon, after enjoying a day that’s the perfect balance of adventure, relaxation, and culture.
We pick you up at your hotel/hostel
*You must make your reservation no later than 8pm (20h) the day before the date of your Tour request.
We take you back to your hotel/hostel
Schedule: From Monday to Sunday at 08:00
Duration: 4 hours
Language: English & Spanish
- At the Totumo Volcano you can meet friendly locals who can help you learn more about the history and culture of the area, allowing you to enjoy an authentic experience.
- From the top of the volcano, you can enjoy the beautiful views of the surrounding landscape and the nearby Caribbean Sea.
- Indigenous communities and their ancient ways of living. Get to know some of the artifacts that have survived through time and allow us to understand more of our heritage.
- Salt extraction process, and how it shapes the way of life of the locals.
- And so much more!
- An open mind to submerge in the mud
- Water or your preferred form of hydration. The area is humid, and you may feel thirsty.
- Swimsuit for immersing in the Volcano, towel for the bath afterwards, and clothing for your return to the city.
- Comfortable shoes, you’ll be walking in the town and exploring the surrounding areas.
- Comfortable clothes. No pressure to look amazing, feel free to wear what makes you feel better.
- Keep your friends close, and your belongings even closer. The area is crowded from time to time, so don’t give papaya!
*This is a shared tour available only on demand with a minimum of 2 people. If you are only 1 person, fill out the Form below and wait for our Booking Manager reply to let you know if we already have an existing group tour that you can join.
- English-speaking assistant.
- Free Tour Map of Cartagena
- Air-conditioned transportation from and to your hotel.
- Entrance to the Volcano.
- Lunch in Galerazamba.
- Visit to the Ethno-industry Museum
If you are a group of more than 4 people or if you want to take a private experience of this tour, let us guide you through the greatest Salt Cathedral of the world, and the original El Dorado legend with an exclusive tour guide. Click the following button and request your personalized tour.
Once you send your request, please check your email for our confirmation and further instructions to enjoy your vacations to the fullest!
Do you want to live other experiences in Cartagena or its surroundings?
Take a look at the other experiences you can have during your stay in the city. Make the most of your time with our Full Day or Half Day Tours, Nature and Landscapes, History and Culture or Nightlife and Party!
Free Great Center Tour: Walled City & Getsemani
Saturday - Sunday at 10:00 & 16:00
Based on tips
San Felipe Fortress & Walled Old City Tour
Monday - Sunday at 08:00
Sunset Boat Party at Cartagena's Bay
Monday - Sunday at 17:00, 19:00 & 21:00
Afro Cartagena Cultural Tour
Monday - Saturday at 08:00, 09:00 & 15:00